- Aboriginal Leaders' Forums
- Regional Leaders' Forums
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities Leaders' Forums
- Data Access Workshop
- Country Health Advisory Councils (HACs) study
- Events and talks
- State of Our Health consultation project
We value effective community and stakeholder engagement as a fundamental aspect of performing our role. We consider evidence and ideas about the health system from individuals and organisations who impact, or can be impacted by, our analysis – namely the community (consumers, families, carers and the general public) and stakeholders (clinicians, health system managers, non-government organisations and research bodies). Some stakeholders we engage for their expertise in a particular area for our case studies.
We do not advocate or advise on behalf of any group.
Aboriginal Leaders’ Forums
Aboriginal Leaders’ Forums are our popular series of twice-yearly meetings of South Australia’s Aboriginal leaders who have an interest in health, wellbeing and population health research. We co-host these forums with the Wardliparingga Aboriginal Research Unit at the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute. The forums feature presentations by guest speakers, updates on progress of issues that impact on the health of Aboriginal people in South Australia, and resolution of future directions on research topics.
The thirteenth Aboriginal Leaders’ Forum is being held as a series of webinars during July and August 2020.
Webinar 1. 24 July 2020. Premier of South Australia, Steven Marshall MP, spoke about the state government's handling of COVID-19 restrictions and their impact on Aboriginal communities. The Premier stayed for a question-and-answer discussion session.
Watch the video here, or on Youtube:
Webinar 2. 28 July 2020. Chris Bourke, Henrietta Marrie and Adrian Marrie presented emerging findings from the work they have been doing for the Health Performance Council on measuring and reporting on evidence for institutional racism in South Australia's Local Health Networks.
Webinar 3. Coming soon. We hope to have more information on the third webinar available shortly.
Output reports and supporting material from previous forums are provided for download below:
- Forum no. 12 – 14 Nov 2019
- Download the output report, including photos and review card feedback (PDF, 1,657 kB).
- Forum no. 11 – 09 May 2019
- Output report and review card feedback (PDF, 1,691 kB)
- Presentation on country SA health system reforms (Powerpoint, 775 kB)
- Presentation by Chris Bourke on Measuring institutional racism (PDF, 565 kB)
- Forum no. 10 – 26 October 2018
- Forum no. 9 – 22 May 2018
- Output report and review card feedback
- Video of opening address by the Hon Steven Marshall MP, Premier of South Australia
- Video of the Premier's Q&A session
- Forum no. 8 – 15 November 2017
- Output report and review card feedback
- Video of Treaty Commissioner Dr Roger Thomas' keynote presentation
- Commissioner Thomas' presentation slides
- HPC presentation slides
- Forum no. 7 – 31 May 2017 – Output report and review card feedback
- Forum no. 6 – 24 Nov 2016 – Output report
- Forum no. 5 – 18 May 2016 – Output report
- Forum no. 4 – 27 Nov 2015 – Output report
Regional Leaders' Forums
Limestone Coast — September 2019
On 12 September, we travelled to Mount Gambier to talk to Limestone Coast regional leaders and stakeholders firsthand about local health system issues and population health outcomes in the region. Illustrated output reports from these meetings are available to download:
- Aboriginal Elders’ lunch output report (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Regional stakeholders’ dinner output report (PDF, 903 kB)
Riverland — September 2018
On 12 September 2018 we travelled to Berri and Renmark. Output reports from our stakeholder meetings are available for download:
- Aboriginal Elders' lunch output report
- Life Without Barriers thank you letter
- Regional stakeholders' dinner output report
Lower Eyre Peninsula — February 2018
In February 2018, the Health Performance Council hosted its first regional health leaders' forum, welcoming a group of local leaders to a round-table discussion forum in Port Lincoln on the Lower Eyre Peninsula.
Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities Leaders' Forums
In June 2017, Health Performance Council hosted the second Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities (CALD) Leaders' Forum, welcoming over 60 delegates to the one day meeting. The program included a keynote presentation by Mr Paris Aristotle, CEO of Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc (Foundation House), 2017 Victorian Australian of the Year and Officer of the Order of Australia and panel discussions featuring distinguished guest presenters on the topics of:
- accessing quality patient-level data and using it to improve health outcomes and community wellbeing; and
- bridging the gap between policy, practice and service models.
The output report from the forum can be downloaded via this link.
In 2016, HPC jointly hosted the first CALD Leaders' Forum with Multicultural Communities Council of SA that included stakeholder discussion of the HPC's 2015 Iolande Principe consultation paper Issues in Health Care in South Australia for People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds - A Scoping Study for the Heath Performance Council.
- Harry Minas' presentation
- Iolanda Principe's presentation
- Nick Cugley's presentation
- Mahjabeen Ahmad's presentation
- Output report from the forum
Data Access Workshop
On 16 March 2017, we, with SAHMRI's South Australian Academic Health Science and Translation Centre (SA Centre), co-hosted a workshop to explore issues with data access for health audit and research with academics, clinicians, consumers and policy makers from public and independent sectors in South Australia.
The workshop showcased South Australian public sector developments in clinical data system developments and data sharing, and advancing transparency in the health sector through data access and use to improve quality and safety of care.
The presentations and output report from the workshop are available for download below:
Country Health Advisory Councils (HACs) study
On 14 June 2017, HPC presented at the Combined Health Advisory Council Conference. The annual conference is organised by the country HAC Presiding Members Panel and provides country HAC members an opportunity to share their experiences and hear from other country HACs.
HPC presented the emerging findings from its revisit to the 2011 review of country HAC governance arrangements.
Our revisit review of country HAC governance arrangements was completed in September 2017. The final report is now available for download on our Reports page.
Events and talks
- Presentation to Council on the Ageing (COTA) – “How will we measure the impact of changes in primary and acute care on older people?” (PDF, 0.2MB)
State of Our Health consultation project
In early 2016, we invited feedback on the new State of Our Health from the Minister’s Office, SA Health managers, HPC prescribed bodies and other key HPC stakeholders with an online survey, face-to-face meetings and an invitation to provide written submissions. These consultations revealed high levels of satisfaction. Feedback received is that you find State of Our Health well-structured, easy to use and understand and covers key health indicators of the South Australian population. The consultations also provided us with useful suggestions for areas where State of Our Health could further improve.
Please click here to view the output report from the State of Our Health consultation project.