2-1. Fertility rate
2-1-1. Fertility rate in South Australia
- In 2014, South Australia's total fertility rate (TFR) was 1.87 births per woman (all ages). This is the same as the national average (i.e. the Australian TFR is also 1.87).
- Total fertility rate is higher in Country SA (2.20) than in metropolitan Adelaide (1.80).
- The total fertility rate in SA increased between 2004 and 2009 but has decreased very slightly since then.
- South Australia's total fertility rate of 1.87 births per woman ranks it in the middle of the states and territories.
|Australian Capital Territory||1.79|
|New South Wales||1.87|
2-1-2. Aboriginal fertility rate
- In 2014, South Australia's Aboriginal total fertility rate (TFR) was 2.031 births per Aboriginal woman (all ages). This is below the national average of 2.222.
- Between 2004 and 2008, the South Australian Aboriginal total fertility rate increased but has since decreased.
- South Australia's Aboriginal total fertility rate of 2.031 births per woman is ranked fourth lowest when compared to the Aboriginal TFR of other states and territories.
|Australian Capital Territory||1.929|
|New South Wales||1.976|
- Based on ABS 2015, 'Table 2.1 Births, Summary, Statistical Areas Level 4-2011 to 2014', Births, Australia, 2014, cat. no. 3301.0, viewed 10 March 2016.
- Based on ABS 2015, 'Table 1.4 Births, Summary statistics for South Australia-2004 to 2014', Births, Australia, 2014, cat. no. 3301.0, viewed 10 March 2016.