2015-2018 4-yearly report
Review of the performance of South Australian health systems, the health of South Australians and changes in health outcomes over the reporting period 2015–2018
This four-yearly report, for the period 2015–2018, summarises the Health Performance Council’s work in examining the achievements of the public and private health systems, population health outcomes and consumer and community engagement in health systems in South Australia from 2015 to 2018.
As required by law (Health Care Act 2008), the report was submitted to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing in and was tabled in Parliament on .
The Minister is required# to issue a formal response to the Council’s report within 6 months of receipt. The government response was duly tabled in Parliament on .
SA Health provided its first annual update to the government's response on 24 November 2020.
Summary of advice to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing
The Council has advised the Minister for Health and Wellbeing that priority should be given to:
- the availability and use of data, and robust analysis and transparent reporting on health outcomes, including patient-reported outcomes that arise from services in public and private sectors, to inform clinical improvement and policy-making
- listening to all staff and consumer voices for insight into what works and what could be better at the frontline of service provision
- workforce planning aligned with every new strategy
- tackling discrimination and racism in the health system, as reported by consumers and staff
- clearly describing how the new governing boards must work to ensure their governance reflects all dimensions of quality and safety, and access and equity, within their local health networks and collectively across the health system for all consumers and communities.
Ten trends in 10 years: South Australia’s health system performance over the last decade
Section 2.4 in the full report
At a Glance: Health Outcomes and Health Determinants
Section 2.3 in the full report
# s. 13(4) Health Care Act 2008